Star Wars: The Force Awakens Halloween Costumes Hint at Character Backgrounds and Potential Story Developments?
Officially licensed costumes and props based on Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens have arrived. But more interesting than the appearances of the items is what the official descriptions reveal and imply…
Potential spoilers ahead!
Let’s start off with a small bit about Anakin Skywalker (Darth Vader) and Luke Skywalker before getting into the new cast:
- Wield the weapon from the Republic’s destroyer and its savior! Both Anakin and Luke Skywalker battled with a blue lightsaber. Star Wars Anakin/Luke Skywalker Blue Lightsaber is based on that “elegant weapon,” as Obi-Wan Kenobi called it. The blade lights up and extends to 3 feet in length, telescoping down into the handle when not in use. As a young padawan, Anakin Skywalker wielded a blue lightsaber that he crafted himself, and the weapon served him through many adventures. After he turned to the Dark Side, Anakin — now Darth Vader — fought his former master Obi-Wan and was nearly destroyed. Obi-Wan then took the blue lightsaber and saved it until the day that he could present it to Anakin’s son, Luke, when the two met on Tatooine. From that moment on, Luke kept this lightsaber. It was the weapon he used in training with Obi-Wan and Yoda, when battling Jabba the Hut [sic], and later when he fought Darth Vader at Cloud City. In that struggle, Luke lost both his hand and the blue lightsaber when it tumbled away and fell into a maintenance shaft. No matter which Jedi knight you choose to be, the blue lightsaber, carried by heroes in a galaxy long ago and far away, is a weapon you can be proud to own!
I’m only mentioning this here because of our exclusive Bespin flashback scoop we mentioned a while back (found here, and discussed in more detail on our podcast). It’s not an accident that they’re pushing to sell this specific lightsaber. Plus, we already know that Finn will wield the very same weapon as revealed in the Instagram footage, so it’s interesting to see that the description highlighted that the lightsaber is something that belongs to several generations of heroes.
- Sometimes, heroes come from the unlikeliest of places. The Galactic Empire has been dead for decades, but evil never really dies. With villains rising to take the Empire’s place, heroes must rise to oppose them. After becoming stranded by himself in the deserts of Jakku, and meeting up with a girl named Rey, a Stormtrooper named Finn has joined the side of the Resistance. He began his adventure as a part of the New Order, but now he’s one of the few people that can stop them. With a new look, Finn is ready for a new mission. Since trading in his Stormtrooper armor for a new set of gear, Finn’s outfit might not be flashy, but it’s all that a hero needs to succeed.
- The perfect rebel accessory. Finn, one of the newest characters in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, is a rogue Stormtrooper who teams up with Rey and the rest of the rebellion to fight against the First Order. A must for any awesome rebel fighter is, of course, an awesome weapon. Enter Finn’s Blaster. When you dress up as the Stormtrooper-turned-rebel this Halloween, make sure you don’t forget to accessorize your costume with this must-have weapon.
- The mission to take down the First Order is underway! After invading the Starkiller Base, one member of the Resistance has split from her group and found herself in a massive room full of First Order soldiers. Completely surrounded by Stormtroopers with blasters and Knights of Ren with lightsabers, she seems to be totally outnumbered. Unfortunately for her enemies, though, they’ve made a big mistake: it’s not about the strength of the weapon, but the strength of the warrior that wields it. Begin your Star Wars adventure as a character beginning her own. Rey is one of the new heroes making her Star Wars debut in Episode VII: The Force Awakens. After growing up with a simple life on the remote desert planet Jakku, and meeting up with a former Stormtrooper named Finn, she suddenly finds herself as part of the Resistance, the organization trying to save the galaxy from the villainous First Order.
- A new rebel! One of the new characters in Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens, Rey fights against the First Order with fellow rebels Poe and Finn, along with beloved characters from the classic Star Wars films. She makes her home on the barren desert planet of Jakku, which looks very similar to Tattooine. Living inside a non-functioning Imperial AT-AT, Rey is a scavenger and knows how to fend for herself. Become ReyIf your rebellious little girl wants to dress up as Rey for Halloween, or the premier of the newest Star Wars movie, then this is the costume for her. While she may not need to camouflage herself in the desert to hide from Stormtroopers, Captain Phasma, or Kylo Ren, this neutral colored costume is perfect for blending in. Once she has her costume, accessorize it with the matching headpiece with mask and staff weapon.
- Watch as The Force Awakens in a new hero. It’s been 30 years since the Galactic Empire crumbled, but new threats and enemies of the galaxy have taken its place. Among the new Resistance that has arisen to combat this evil is a young girl from the lonely desert planet Jakku. Her name is Rey, and she’s one of the best chances that the galaxy has to take down the New Order.
- There has been an awakening in the Force. One man, standing by himself in a snowy forest clearing, can feel it. The Force, and the powers of its Dark Side, are welling up within his body. He draws his lightsaber, and three red blades extend from the handle, ready for battle. From behind a shroud of black robes, beneath a shadowy mask, Kylo Ren knows that the Knights of Ren are one step closer to completing their mission. Join the ranks of the Knights of Ren. Kylo Ren and the rest of his fellow knights serve the First Order and support their ultimate goal: to take over the entire galaxy, using the same power of the Force once used by the Galactic Empire. Since the Empire’s been gone for thirty years, that power is up for grabs – but the Resistance would rather see that it’s kept out of the hands of darkness. When you dress up with Star Wars costumes on Halloween, this is just one of the stories from Episode VII: The Force Awakens that can inspire your imagination.
- An action-packed Star Wars scene begins. On a desolate battlefield, the forces of the evil Knights of Ren and the heroic Resistance have finally met. Warriors on both sides have drawn their blasters and the colored beams of their lightsabers, waiting to attack. When Kylo Ren raises his hand, covered by a long, black glove, the Knights charge into battle.
- The awakening of the Force points towards trouble. Before a climactic and action-filled Star Wars scene commences, everything stands still. The Knights of Ren and the Resistance have met each other, face-to-face. Red and blue light sabers are drawn, awaiting their wielders’ next moves. Finally, Kylo Ren’s black, gloved hand signals an attack on the Resistance forces ahead, and the battle is underway.
- The coolest lightsaber ever made. Ever since Jedi and Sith first crossed blades in the original Star Wars movie from 1977, the lightsaber has been one of the most iconic movie weapons and props in all of sci-fi. In Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, it’s all about the Resistance and the First Order, but lightsabers are still the weapon of choice. The crossguarded, broadsword lightsaber design, wielded by the villainous Kylo Ren, has made quite the impact with fans. Now, you can get that power, too. A blade as dangerous as Kylo Ren himself. It’s fitting that the most ominous looking villain of Star Wars VII had to create his own custom lightsaber. Nothing else in the galaxy was threatening enough. As a member of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren is associate of the First Order – the evil organization trying to take over the galaxy after the fall of the Empire. When he’s geared up with his black and silver helmet, flowing robes, and three-bladed lightsaber, he’s as imposing as any Star Wars villain ever.
- The dawn of new Star Wars fans. Vader. Maul. Fett. All of these names have been classic Star Wars villains for decades, each with equally iconic costumes. Now it’s your child’s turn to learn and grow up with new favorite characters of their own. With Episode VII: The Force Awakens comes the dawn of a new trilogy, and Kylo Ren is one of the villains in line to inherit the prowess of his predecessors.
Gain the power that can control the galaxy. That’s the goal of Kylo and the Knights of Ren, too: to seek the galaxies-conquering powers once held by Emperor Palpatine and the Galactic Empire. The Rebel Alliance foiled that evil quest, but Kylo Ren will ensure that the Resistance does not follow suit.
- As The Force Awakens, will you choose the Dark Side? The countless galaxies in the Star Wars universe have lain dormant for decades, since the fall of the Galactic Empire. Now, in Star Wars Episode VII, the Force – the darkness, and the light – has reawakened. Heroes are scrambling to claim the powers for good, but many would rather use them for evil. The Knights of Ren are calling your name. Kylo Ren is just one of the names that belong to The Knights of Ren, an army of the dark side that craves to reclaim its lost power. Allied with the First Order, it’s their mission to take down the Resistance and anything else that stands in their way.
- Is it a Stormtrooper? Is It a Flametrooper? No! It’s Captain Phasma! While Captain Phasma’s glistening silver and black helmet may resemble that of a Stormtrooper, Flametrooper, or even infamous intergalactic bad guy Darth Vader, she is definitely her own kind of villain. Among other things, Phasma is separated from her evil counterparts by one very distinct fact – she’s a girl!
- Are you ready to join the dark side? From behind a suit of silver armor and a reflective, mirrored mask, the captain inspects a unit of Stormtroopers before battle. The Resistance must be brought to its knees, so that the First Order may reign supreme over the galaxy. Villains like Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine have ruled in the past, but in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, the face of the Dark Side has been replaced, and her name is Captain Phasma.
- As the Force awakens, so do the powers of evil. After the Battle of Endor, the Empire fell, and the powers it held were scattered throughout the galaxy.This is the tale that is told in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, and one of the antagonists that seeks that power for herself is Captain Phasma of the First Order.
- The Force has awakened, and must be used for the power of darkness. It’s been decades since the Empire fell to the Alliance and left the galaxy without a supreme ruler. Now, in Star Wars: Episode VII, the struggle between light and dark begins again. Clad in a suit of silvery armor, eyes staring out from behind a shining mask, one warrior is prepared to bring the stars themselves to their knees for the glory of the First Order. Her name: Phasma.
It should be noted that Lucasfilm’s Matt Martin has stated that some information here is “editorialized”, and is not necessarily representative of what will happen in the movie. If I had to guess, the thing about there being a huge battle between several lightsaber-wielders, the First Order, and the Resistance is probably not in the movie (as it sounds more like something that one would see in The Old Republic). Likewise, I don’t think it’s likely that Rey is a part of the Resistance until at least halfway through the movie.
@ManaByte They didn’t come past me for approval, I know that much! My guess is the retailer is editorializing a bit.
— Matt Martin (@missingwords) September 5, 2015
That being said, certain details about the way the descriptions are written interest me. Captain Phasma is treated a threat rivaling Darth Vader or even the Emperor. Finn is presented as an everyman trying to turn a new leaf, while Rey is presented as an expert in her field. Kylo Ren is presented as part of a group that allies itself with the First Order out of shared interests as opposed to running it completely. I get the feeling that, even if the people writing the descriptions were taking shots in the dark, they at least had some direction from Lucasfilm on what to talk about. With that in mind, it wouldn’t surprise me if certain elements discussed here actually fit into the story.
Special thanks to Staff Member TIDMADT for finding many of these.
Grant has been a fan of Star Wars for as long as he can remember, having seen every movie on the big screen. When he’s not hard at work with his college studies, he keeps himself busy by reporting on all kinds of Star Wars news for SWNN and general movie news on the sister site, Movie News Net. He served as a frequent commentator on SWNN’s The Resistance Broadcast.