UPDATE! New Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Trailer Hits! Screencaps and Interview with Dave Filoni.
As promised, a new trailer for the second season of Rebels has hit, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly. The clip features a heavy emphasis on the Force and several surprise appearances from numerous characters.
A couple of key details from the trailer:
- “Hammerhead” ships from Knights Of The Old Republic and Kinrath beasts (along with a hint that more Star Wars Legends content could be re-integrated into the setting).
- A Force temple based on Ralph McQuarrie’s art.
- Darth Vader directly interacting with the Inquisitorius.
- An elderly Lasat, Twi’leks, and a few Mandalorians.
- A return to Geonosis (and possible Death Star prototypes).
- A stable crossguard lightsaber.
- Individuals dressed as Jedi Temple guards.
- A fourth Inquisitor.
- Cham Syndulla, Leia Organa, Yoda, Anakin Skywalker, and Darth Maul.
- The long-awaited duel between Darth Vader and Ahsoka Tano.
Entertainment Weekly posted an extensive interview with Executive Producer Dave Filoni, discussing the newly released trailer. You can read the full piece HERE.
Here are some of the most interesting highlights from the interview:
- The crossguard lightsaber Ezra finds is a nod to this new history we’re seeing in The Force Awakens. It gives a little more context to something that turns up later.
- By that time Leia is not a Rebel. She is part of the Empire and her father is still working within the Senate.
- Vader and The Emperor think that if they can get Ahsoka, she would be a key that leads them to other Jedi survivors.
- Matt Lanter, who voiced Anakin in The Clone Wars series, got to make his return as the voice Ahsoka hears in her head, although James Earl Jones is supplying the ominous exterior voice of Vader.
- “The voice of this mysterious character — who warns that Ezra is susceptible to the Dark Side — sounds a lot like a certain Supreme Leader we saw in The Force Awakens. But Filoni won’t say who the actor is, and he seems to enjoy the connections fans may make — legit or not. Filoni says he’s unlikely to resolve any major secrets from the films — just as he wouldn’t want the movies to tie up any loose ends involving the characters from his shows.” So this is probably not Snoke…
- “Filoni will say that these masked figures are Jedi Temple Guards, who turned up in The Clone Wars series. In Season 2 of Rebels, they battle not just our Rebel friends, but also the Dark Side Inquisitors, so their precise loyalty is in question”.
- Sabine Wren will meet up with two more unnamed Mandalorians in upcoming episodes.
Grant has been a fan of Star Wars for as long as he can remember, having seen every movie on the big screen. When he’s not hard at work with his college studies, he keeps himself busy by reporting on all kinds of Star Wars news for SWNN and general movie news on the sister site, Movie News Net. He served as a frequent commentator on SWNN’s The Resistance Broadcast.