It is wonderful that celebrities have the power to make us aware of causes that need our support and Actor Mark Hamill is doing just that. In an interview with The Sun newspaper to help support charities, the Master Hamster revealed some interesting details regarding the original opening sequence of Star Wars: The Force Awakens…
Actor Mark Hamill had minimal screen time as the Jedi Knight in his return to the sci-fi franchise but that didn’t matter to him because he knew Luke was central to the plot. In an interview with The Sun newspaper, the actor talks about his experience in the ‘The Force Awakens’ and offered up some new previously unknown tidbits of information.
Speaking about reading the script for the first time, after being invited back to play Luke by director J.J. Abrams, he said:
“I read the script on a little iPad with a security man with me so I couldn’t take notes … The first few words in the crawl are ‘Luke Skywalker has vanished’ and I thought, ‘Boy, this is going to be good!’ I thought, ‘Good, I’m going to have one of those 11th-hour entrances.’ I wanted impact. I wanted to affect the storyline.”
The actor also spoke about how someone actually leaked the first 15 minutes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens correctly online.
“One day I read the first 15 minutes of the film absolutely accurately” he said. “I can tell you now that in the original opening shot of 7, the first thing that came into frame was a hand with a lightsaber, a severed hand that enters the atmosphere, and then the hand and bone burns away and goes sticking into the surface of Jakku” he added. “and this alien hand comes in, don’t know if it was Maz but it was an alien hand who takes the light saber way, and then the movie proceeds as you see it.”
The legendary Jedi who is currently shooting the next installment ‘Episode VIII’, admits he was initially uncertain about reprising his role as Luke, 32 years after his last appearance in ‘Return of the Jedi’. However, he knew if he didn’t return as the one-time Tattooine farm boy he would be “hated”, after the rest of the original cast agreed to come back.
“I was scared to come back … and I’d be the most hated man in the world if I didn’t do it.”
During the Interview the actor was asked a question regarding whether Luke Skywalker keeps up his fencing skills for a lightsaber fight? He didn’t confirm nor deny but he did have this to say.
“Well, I am under a non-disclosure agreement . . . but it’s possible.” He said
Hamill can recall watching the completed version of ‘The Force Awakens’ – which also stars newcomers Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn) and Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) – ahead of its release last December and he knew instantly Abrams had captured the spirit of the space opera started by George Lucas.
“The very first time I saw the film was at the premiere in Los Angeles, even though I was invited to see it before that at a little screening room. I would rather see it with a full audience” he said. “I thought it was amazing what they were able to do” he said. “It worked on the level for somebody who had never seen one of those films before” he added. “Everything has changed but nothing has changed”
You can see the entire video interview here:
Now you can also help. Give to Great Ormond Street Hospital!
This charity supports many children’s hospitals to make a difference to kids’ lives.
How to donate? JOIN Sun by donating to Great Ormond Street Hospital – and The Sun and Disney will MATCH every pound. Star Wars: Force for Change is a charity backed by the films’ makers which has raised millions for good causes around the world. And today, on Star Wars Day, it is the turn of London’s world-class hospital for kids. From 1am today until midnight on Sunday, for every pound you give, The Sun and Disney will both give another pound, up to a combined £100,000.
Donate now at gosh.org/thesun/forceforchange or texting MAY4 to 70800
May the Force be with you…
Source: The Sun