New York Comic Con started today and we’ve been treated to a inside glimpse into where the galaxy is positioned at the start of Star Wars: The High Republic and the events that kickstart the story.
Susana Polo, from Polygon, hosted the panel as she talked to writers: Charles Soule, Justina Ireland, Cavan Scott, Claudia Gray, Daniel José Older and Lucasfilm Publishing Creative Director: Michael Siglain. They talk about the ‘The Great Disaster’ that triggers the adventures we’ll be following in the novels and comics.
You can check out the panel below:
Highlights from the panel:
- ‘The Legacy Run’ cargo ship collides with something in hyperspace causing cargo and passenger cars to be scattered on different planets. The Jedi respond to this disaster.
- Yoda will be with younger padawans in training and we won’t see him until slightly later during the fallout of The Great Disaster.
- Claudia Gray’s ‘Into the Dark’ characters are actually caught up in the great disaster itself.
- Cavan Scott’s Marvel comic character, Keeve Trennis, is posted to ‘Starlight Beacon’, a massive space station, and has literally only just become a Jedi Knight.
- One of Charles Soule’s characters, Avar Kriss, perceives the force as music, and calls it ‘the song of the force’.
- The Wookiee Jedi perceives the force as a big forest and himself as one leaf on a larger tree.
- Justine Ireland’s main character in ‘A Test of Courage’ sees herself in the force as a small stream that leads to a river then to the sea.
- Claudia has a Jedi who’s less in tune with the force than a lot are and has to work harder to connect with it.
- One of her other characters is a ‘young Matthew McConaughey with a spaceship’.
- Authors wanted to find a balance between something new and honoring work that has come before in the EU.
- The Wookiee Jedi has a two handed lightsaber built to match his strength and size.
- There have been references to the High Republic in recent work that no one has picked up on yet.
Phase 2 announcements:
- Cavan Scott writing an adult novel
- Justina Ireland writing a YA novel
- Daniel José Older writing a middle grade novel
Finally, Star Wars Insider magazine will begin publishing serialized short stories again, beginning with a High Republic one this December, written by Charles Soule.
It’a great to see the dedication and detail that’s going into this new part of the Star Wars universe and the love all the authors have for the work they’re doing.
While this panel was specifically for The High Republic series, tomorrow’s panel will be about Star Wars books from all over the galaxy with authors Daniel José Older, Preetei Chhibber, Phil Szostak, Katie Cook, Zoraida Cordova, and Amy Ratcliffe appearing. We’ll be sure to give you all the info when it drops. Until then, may the force be with you.